Monday, May 4, 2009

MiniME MOM - The Making

This is MiniME Mom, my first handsculpted polymer clay character cake topper. It took me approx. 18 hours within 2 days to complete. I should have taken photo of the making process but conveniently forgotten until the head is completed and heat-cured. As for the later part, I am racing over time so I skipped the picture-taking... which I am kind of regret now.

I believe the most challenging part for every sculpter is sculpting the face. I spent a good long hours just working on the face features alone. It is difficult to show the expression I wanted on the head sculpture. Distortion occured from time to time and fixing it was kind of disheartening. Just start all over!
The head in this photo is already heat-cured. I am attaching it to the raw clay upper body.


Working on the hands are fun. Maureen has illustrated a fantastic step-by-step instruction on making hands in her book.

This photo showing the palm of the hand (raw).





This is the finished raw hand, ready to be attached...
I wanted to apply nail polish on it but no time for this! Sigh...



Phew! Another time consuming part of this project is the fabric. I have pre-selected the outfit for my mom so I know what she's going to wear on her birthday. Color-mixing took some time cos' I wanted to get the closest color possible. Then it was the caning work, slicing and making it into a piece of clay fabric. I am quite happy with the result although there are plenty of room for improvement. ;p





Next, the Hair-Do!
Love the extruder especially at time like this.




I enjoyed working on this. It is my version of faux Jade pendant with chinese silk knotted necklace which Mom has worned to match her outfit.

And, what is a birthday without a birthday cake?
Thanks to my sister Catherine for giving me the idea of having MiniME MOM holding a cake with a big '60'. This should give great memories to mom of her special 60th birthday.


No comments:

Moving back to Singapore

Yes, I am going home... I will miss Hobby Lobby and Michaels' a lot! Hope I will have the time to continue claying 🙌